Wednesday 5 January 2022

January loading...


Instagram is one of my favourite places to hang out online and it’s been a wash with words of the year, intentions and even some resolutions sneaking still over the last few days (it’s not the done thing to set new years resolutions anymore!).

Over the past few years I’ve found myself seeking out and setting my word for the year, dreaming up something empowering that set the tone for the coming 12 months, but invariably I end up forgetting all about it by April and the meaning and intention behind it get’s lost in my mind as life unfolds. 

I don’t set resolutions either, and although they are frowned upon by most people now because it’s considered that they set you up to fail, I think they can be valuable and helpful to some people, because hey, we’re all different, however I am one of those people who have lost site of mine by the end of January. 

But here we are at the start of January again and I’ve spent time over last week considering how I’ll approach the year ahead - will I choose a word or should I sent an intention? Or should I try a list of goals or create a mood board? So many possibilities right?

But in the end this is what I’ve concluded... it’s to do absolutely nothing!

Yes, I’m not going to settle on anything right now because one thing life has taught me these last few years is that can be completely unpredictable and what I think at the start of the year can be completely different to how things are going for me by the summer, even by the end of January to be honest.

I don’t want to leave my year ahead completely to fate though so I’m doing one thing only and that’s committing to being present in the month. So what does that look like?

Well, I’m going to only think about, plan for and invest in the current month we are in. For January that means using this month to set our family up for the year ahead. I’ve always kept our calendar clear for this month most years and it works really well because we get so much prep done without being distracted by things outside our family.

The house needs a clean because I was too ill with shingles over the festive season to do much, plus we went crazy and got ourselves a cute but active little puppy who has energy to boot so we’ve thrown ourselves into focusing on him and training him to live happily in his new home with us.

I need to get some clutter cleared too and my health needs getting back on track, these things take time and I don’t want to rush anything so I’m giving myself this month to just focus on those few things. I also have some big decisions to make around my ongoing education, work and childcare, these are also life commitments that I don’t want to rush into so taking my time this.

Already I feel relief around just committing to the month ahead, the pressure is off and I feel really focused for the first time in ages, plus when February rolls around there’s a whole new month to play around with, an open book, a clean slate and that feels exciting too. 

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Her Wisdom | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig