Monday 23 November 2020

Why Planning ahead is good for your Wellbeing

By nature I am a little bit messy and a lot disorganised, which is not common traits for a Virgo right?! But it’s who I am and what I felt comfortable with until I became a mum, bought and house and started running my little blog/business. Life suddenly got complicated and I suddenly had to develop a new skill of becoming a circus juggler and there were balls dropping everywhere, let me tell you!

When my life picked up speed in this way not only did I struggle to manage with my messy, disorganised, fly by the seat of my pants but most of all my personal wellbeing suffered massively because as a by product of picking up all these balls constantly, I completely put my needs on the back seat - not great for emotions or mental health at all!

Now my husband on the other hand couldn’t be more opposite and would constantly get frustrated and a little unnerved by how I went about life, he would always encourage me to think and plan ahead but I would always laugh at him and tell him to chill out, but then one day the penny dropped and I got onboard because I knew something had to change and you can read more about that in this post!

These days I am all for planning ahead because the level of calm, clarity and reassurance it give me has done wonders for my wellbeing AND the knock on effect it has on my ability to parent, manage a household and keep working flowing. 

I’m not perfect though, I still drop balls and I’m by no means obsessive about it at all and I’m not suggesting that we all become military about planning out every inch of our lives but I have truly experienced what a little forward thinking and organisation has done for how we make our way through life and can 100% testify that it does indeed has a big positive impact on how we manage life’s stresses and our ability to build resilience and take care of ourselves, something I believe everyone can benefit from, especially in todays world.

So what does this look like for me? Well, it’s often the little things, making a weekly dinner menu and a shopping list, having a dedicated day to wash and fold laundry every week and putting important dates on the calendar and then checking them in advance!

But it’s also asking for help when I know I will need it for a meeting or a deadline, it putting absolutely nothing in the calendar on a Sunday morning so I can take an hour long bath or lie in bed for a bit and my husband is free to take on parenting by himself. It’s calling my friend and arranging a girls only night for next month because we are both busy but don’t want miss out on spending time together! It’s also make time and space in my personal diary to move my body, read a book or sit down to a crystal meditation. 

It may sound silly or weird to plan these things in but when I’m juggling all the things, a meditation, a home workout - these are the first things to get dumped but are the moments that I need the most!

Even better too my planning for my personal wellbeing rubs off on other around me, my husband does it for himself, my friends are inspired to do it too and my children are learning what an important wellbeing skill this is, the ripple effect is priceless!

So if you feel like life isn’t giving you what your need to feel good about yourself right now, whether that because it feels too hectic or because you’re not putting your needs first simply start planning out how or what you need it look and feel like. 

If you need a helping hand this planner and worksheet bundle is full of ideas, activities and worksheets to help you become unstuck and put your wellbeing at the centre of your world.



Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Her Wisdom | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig