Monday 28 January 2019

Her Wisdom - Kim Palmer

I really excited to introduce you to Kim Palmer and welcome her into my HER WISDOM series! Back in the summer last year I entered a competition through The Early Hour blog to win a free 6 month mentorship with Kim who is an entrepreneur and co-founder (along with Annie Ridout from The Early Hour) of the wellbeing app for women Clementine
Well, I didn't win however I was very lucky to build up a friendship with Kim and over the last 6 months she has inspired me, supported me and nudged me in the right direction all while juggling her business and family life.  

Do be sure check out the Clementine app and blog, I regularly use the app to support my own wellbeing, it has a series of different hypnotherapy audio tracks centred around anxiety, confidence and sleep with the option to set up your own personalised mantras too.

I hope you enjoy learning more about Kim and her reflections on wisdom and wellbeing.

How do you begin your day? What are the first 3 things you need to do to get your day started?
I usually get up and go and see Kingsley our youngest.  He is always smiling so it’s the best way to start the day even when you are tired.  I then get him up and go downstairs with my other son Louis and he plays for a bit whilst I feed Kingsley.  It’s a little chaotic but it’s fun.  

Then when my hubby is ready we all sit down to breakfast at the table together – this is a ‘must have’ for me.  I hate feeling rushed in the morning and I love to just have a chat about the day and what’s ahead and connect with everyone.

My husband takes Louis to school so when he has gone Kingsley and I have a little play and then he naps and that’s when I take the chance to shower and sit down to a coffee – both must haves to having a successful day.  

Share your favourite piece of wisdom and why it means something to you.
It’s a piece of feedback I had when I was very early on in my career.  A boss told me that one of my strongest assets was my likeability and that people really liked working with me.  At the time, I thought this was crap feedback. I wanted to know what I was good at – something more tangible and technical.  But he was right – being personable, open and wanting to work with people is one of the best skills for running a business.  You can learn everything else.

What is your go to thing for comfort when it all gets too much?
Walking – when I get really pantsy I need to walk.  On my own.  Get some fresh air, space and just some time to decompress from it all.  

Who are the women that inspire you?
Oh, gosh this is such a hard question as I’m inspired by so many women.  I’m inspired by women who have against all odds achieved something great, or women who against all odds are trying to achieve something great and they are slogging it out day to day to make a better life for themselves.

A few of my old bosses I admire because of they way they mentor women to flourish in their careers.  Annie Ridout inspires me by her sheer capacity to do some much work and that the work she creates is always so bloody amazing.  I’m inspired by my Mum who had a tough time when we were younger and she managed to give us everything we need and still has so much love to give despite being a victim of domestic violence.  My sister who is going through a messy divorce and keeps her **** together for her kids.

How do you see yourself and what makes up your sense of identity?  
Ohhh interesting question,  I see myself as ‘one of the people’  does that even make sense?  I’m here just like everyone else, trying my best to give something back to society and to my family too. 

My identity is made up of some very strong values around  community, adding value and collaboration.

Do you have a favourite dish or recipe that makes you feel good or gives you a much needed boost?
Ok so breakfast is literally my favourite meal of the day. And if I’m feeling a bit down, low on energy I’ll have it again during the day. Greek yoghurt, granola and lots of fresh fruit - Devine!

What does confidence mean to you, what builds yours? 
Ok so I’ve thought a lot about confidence.  As someone who had it, lost it and then has been on a journey to find it again.  For ‘me’ and that’s important to point out – not everyone’s definition is the same and that’s how it should be.  But for me it’s all about ‘doing’.  When I’m confident I’m taking action.  I’m putting myself forward for panel discussions, applying for that TEDx, emailing the CEO of a major brand.  And the more I ‘do’ the more confident I become.  I don’t even need to be successful at those things – it’s more that I realise that by ‘doing’ – the world doesn’t end if I don’t do it well so I have absolutely nothing to lose.

What's challenging you right now?
How we monetise and scale Clementine – whilst remaining true to our values.  I don’t think we have a straight forward path.  And that’s ok – it just requires more thinking on our part.

Tell us more about your latest or next project.
The next big step for Annie and I is to secure investment so that we can start to add lots more content to Clementine to support women on more topics.  We have a bold vision for creating multi-sensory products and we want to build a team.  It won’t be easy but it is a lot of fun and makes me very, very happy.

Kim lives in London with her husband and two children, you can learn more about her and the  Clementine App by visiting the website and can also download the app from there. You can say hi to Kim on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook too.
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Her Wisdom | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig