Thursday 1 July 2021

HER WISDOM - Sarah Robertson


Welcome back to the HER WISDOM Interviews, I’m so excited to start sharing some more inspiring stories with you again and will be featuring some amazing women. Over the next few months I’m going to be doing something a bit different too and following a theme, and July is all about women in business.


So Im kicking off this small business series with Sarah Robertson, an experienced graphic designer and creative director who recently founded These Are The Days , a branding and design business. Sarah works from her home studio in Edinburgh alongside her partner, Jonathan, a website designer and digital director, and together they co-run a digital design agency called If Looks Could Kill.


Tell us a bit about your new business... 

These Are The Days was born out of a desire to live in the moment and focus on the work I enjoy. I love helping businesses create meaningful brands and I do this through a combination of strategy, styling and storytelling. This means that one day I could be collaborating with a client on the overall strategy for their brand, another I might be creating a brand identity for a business, and I’m also at home with crafting business names, straplines and keyphrases. I love the variety this work brings.


What inspired you to start this business journey?

I’ve been in the field of marketing and design for more than 20 years and self-employed for 16 of those. Throughout this time, I’ve worked on a wide range of creative projects and always had a soft spot for branding, but with us being so focused on digital projects that spark was missing from the day-to-day. After taking some time away from my business to home school my daughter during the first lockdown, I returned to the studio with the strong sense that something needed to change. So I took steps to try something new and invite a little more joy in!


How do you typically start your workday?

Over the years, I’ve learned to go easy on myself where a morning routine is concerned. I’m not what most people might consider a “morning person” and it often takes me a little while to get going. So I give myself a lot of grace. But on a good day, I try to fit in a little exercise such as a HIIT session or yoga after the little one has gone to school, or I curl up on the sofa with a cuppa and my journal if I need to take it slow before getting down to business. Having that space to write helps me to clear the clutter and focus on what matters.


What is the biggest lesson you’ve learnt so far?

I learned early on in my life and work that things don’t always go to plan and I think the key to accepting that is managing the high expectations I have of myself. I often fall into the trap of doing what I think I *should* be doing rather than easing into what feels good. I used to set myself lofty goals but, these days, with an understanding of how quickly life can change, I try to make room for the little things. All we have is now.


How do you manage hurdles or failure in your life as a business owner?

It takes practice to bounce back from challenges, and I’m a big believer in having support in place, either 1:1 or within a group setting. I enjoy having a network to lean on and other people in business to engage with because community and connection are vital. The genuine friendships I’ve formed honestly mean so much. When you have others on the journey with you, you’ll find that you’re often juggling the same doubts and fears. What looks like a hurdle can suddenly feel much easier to overcome when you have folk cheering you on. And what seems like a failure can often be reframed as a learning experience.


What do you do to unwind from a busy day?

My favourite thing to do at the moment is to go for a walk or run with a friend, which I try to do at least twice a week. I look forward to our time together - we mostly laugh and whinge - the exercise is a bonus! Movement is something I found incredibly hard until recently because I was living with chronic pain and fatigue for two years. I still have flare-ups from time to time but it’s far more controllable. If anything, I feel it’s helped me get to know my body and mind and to live and work from a kinder and gentler place. If I’m feeling tired then I like to curl up on the sofa with a hot chocolate, a good film or a new book, or have cuddles with my daughter. Kids can teach us so much about living in the here and now - it’s important to me to try and be present with her when I can.


When was the last time you celebrated a business win?

I don’t celebrate enough but am getting better at acknowledging the big things and appreciating the small things too. This month I guess I’ll celebrate six months of running These Are The Days and following what makes me happy!


Tell us more about your latest projects…

I’ve been bringing some lovely brands to life and working alongside several creative and wellbeing businesses to help them explore their strategies and stories. Almost all of the projects I’m working on are nature-inspired or incredibly playful which I find so energising! I’ve also been designing my website and building my new email community: Inside Story. It launches at the end of June and I’ll be taking subscribers behind the scenes in the design studio and sharing hints and tips on brand strategy, styling and storytelling. I’m working on some regular features and can’t wait to share more!


If you sign up for Sarah’s newsletter on her webpage you’ll receive a free mini guided journal, Crafting Your Brand Story.


You can connect with Sarah via:

Instagram: thesearethedays.co

Website: www.thesearethedays.co


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Her Wisdom | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig